The iron-hulled, three-masted English steamer sailed the Halifax-Bermuda-St. Thomas route. Three years after the ship was bought by the Cunard Steamship Co., the Curlew sank on march 17th 1856 on the ring of breakers to the east of North Rock in rough seas. After navigating all night, the ship’s captain was still asleep when the vessel hit a northern reef not far from North Rock. Two lifeboats were destroyed against the side of the Curlew, a third drifted away, so only the four lifeboat was workable. In time, two navy ships joined the rescue effort, and all aboard were saved, as were seven out of nine mail bags. The ship featured Barkantine rigging, a poop deck and 22-foot beam. Teddy Tucker relocated and identified the wreck in 1955.
The wreck lies in 15 to 35 feet of beautiful, clear water one mile east of North Rock. The Curlew’s pistons sit between two small boilers, and the rest or her wreckage is strewn about or growing into the hard reef now covered in hard and soft corals.
Location: 32°21'44.28"N, 64°46'32.44"W Length: 182 feet (55.5 meters) Maximum Depth: 35 feet (10.6 meters) Tonnage: 528 tons